"Without music, life would be a mistake." -Nietzsche
ABOUT TODD BIFFARD
My mentors include some of Canada’s foremost drummers: Mark Kelso, Aldo Mazza, Bob McLaren, Alan Hetherington, and Paul Delong. I have attended countless workshops and masterclasses with many of the modern masters of drumset and percussion. Drummers who most inspire me include Levon Helm, Jim Keltner, Steve Jordan, Jay Bellerose, Brian Blade and Elvin Jones. I have a diploma in Jazz Performance (Humber, Toronto) and a Bachelor of Arts degree (UBC, Vancouver).
I create music in many genres. I explore music traditions from different periods in history and different places on Earth. I am a thoughtful performer who seeks to connect with the audience and my fellow musicians. The minimalism of a solid groove; the creativity and freedom of improvisation; and the joy of sound are what draw me to music.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add,
From 2007 - 2014, I was a member of a Vancouver-based band called "Maria in the Shower". We were musical brothers, on the road and touring North America as a way of life. We performed more than 600 shows together and worked with many amazing artists along the way.
but when there is nothing left to take away.”
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
From 2014 - 2018, I worked steadily in musical theatre, film, and television, mostly in Vancouver but occasionally on tours right across Canada.
For the past two years I have stayed closer to home, doing more recording sessions, raising my kids, teaching lessons, and performing only about 40 shows each year. I have my eye out for what's around the corner, and look forward to new adventures that await.
“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible, is music.” -Aldous Huxley
Email: tbiffard (at) gmail (dot) com
I am available for performing, recording, composing, touring.
I have experience in a wide range of styles.
I am currently based in Vancouver.
“I would teach children music, physics and philosophy;
but most importantly music, for in the patterns of music
and all the arts are the keys of learning.” -Plato
I offer lessons to drummers of all ages and abilities. In addition to drumset, I teach Scottish-style rudimental snare drumming.
Visit www.vancouverdrumlessons.com for more information.
If you are a school music teacher, please visit my workshops page for information about in-class education programs.
“Beauty of style and harmony and grace and
good rhythm depend on Simplicity.” -Plato
CREDITS AND AWARDS
- Two Jessie award nominations for Significant Artistic Achievement
- Musical theatre “East Van Pantomime” (The Cultch / Theatre Replacement, Vancouver, 2017)
- Musical theatre “Million Dollar Quartet” (The Arts Club, Vancouver, 2017)
- Musical theatre “The Threepenny Opera” (Theatre in the Raw, Vancouver, 2016)
- Musical theatre “The Jungle Book” (Carousel Theatre, Vancouver, 2016)
- Feature film “The BFG” (Walt Disney Productions / Steven Spielberg, 2015)
- Television program “Galala” (TV5 Unis, 2015 & 2016)
- Musical theatre “James and the Giant Peach” (Carousel Theatre, Vancouver, 2014 & 2015)
- Musical theatre “Red Rock Diner” (The Arts Club, Vancouver, 2014 & 2015)
- Musical theatre “Hard Times Hit Parade” (Dusty Flowerpot Cabaret, Vancouver, 2011)
- Musical theatre “Tommy” (Platinum Theatre, Toronto, 2005)
- “Just Drums” scholarship, Humber College (Toronto, 2004)
- MusicWest Celebration of Rhythm International Drum Competition, 1st place (Vancouver, 1995)
- Opening Ceremonies, British Columbia Games (Kelowna, 1995)
- Pearl Pro Player’s Challenge International Drum Competition, 2nd place (Vancouver, 1994)
- “Honour in the Arts” award, Kelowna & District Arts Council (Kelowna, 1993 & 1994)
- Pit musician, Theatre Kelowna Society (Kelowna, 1992-1994)